Get Help With Your Utility Bills

1200 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002

DOEE assists eligible low-income District households with energy costs associated with heating and cooling through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Eligible households may receive assistance towards their energy bill between $250 and $1,500 as a one-time regular energy assistance benefit. The regular energy assistance benefit is based on household size, total household income, heating source, and type of dwelling.

An emergency energy assistance benefit is available to low-income District residents who are currently disconnected from electric or gas service, or have a depleted supply of home heating oil.

ADVISORY:Appointments or online applications are required for District residents to apply for energy assistance with the DOEE.

District residents must apply for assistance by completing an online application (application TBA) or by calling 3-1-1 to schedule an in-person appointment.

If your energy service is disconnected: call 3-1-1 beginning September 18, 2017 for appointments taking place afterOctober 1, 2017.

If your energy service is not disconnected: call 3-1-1 beginning October 1, 2017 for appointments taking place after November 1, 2017.

Additionally, residents may apply for the Utility Discount Program in order to receive a reduced rate on their utility costs. To learn more, please visit theUtility Discount Program.

Emergency Assistance (your energy servicehas beendisconnected or home heating oil is depleted):

Check the income guidelines below to verify income eligibility

Visit one of DOEEs Energy Centers (location details are found below)

Regular Assistance (your energy servicehas not beendisconnected):

Check the income guidelines below to verify income eligibility

Call 311 to schedule an appointment at one of DOEEs Energy Centers (location details are found below)

Bring the following documents with you to receive energy assistance:

Your service disconnection notice or a letter from the utility company that states the service has been disconnected (if applicable);

Your most recent utility bills (or a copy);

Proof of income for everyone in your home who receives income; and

Social Security cards for everyone in your home.


2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., SE

– If you disagree with DOEEs decision on your LIHEAP application, please seeyour appeal rights.

For more information, please contact the DOEE Energy Office by calling 311.

The District has banned the use of food service products made of expanded polystyrene.Read More

District businesses selling food or alcohol are required to charge $.05 for each disposable paper or plastic carryout bag.Find out aboutDCs Bag Law.

RiverSmart programs offer incentives for reducing stormwater pollution.

DC was named the first LEED for Cities Platinum certified city in the world. LEED for Cities was launched last year and enables cities to measure and communicate performance. Read More