ALL SERMONS LISTED APPEAR IN EXACT ORDER ON SERMON PAGE
1. WHY WE STRAY (Acts 20:28-29; Amos 8:11)
2. REVIVING THE CHURCH MILITANT (Jer. 26:1-6; 2 Kings 22:8 & 11)
3. SIX DIVINE ELEMENTS IN THE BELIEVERS LIFE (Selected)
4. GIVING: A DYNAMIC OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE (2 Cor. 9:6-15)
5. THE JOYS OF BEING BORN AGAIN (1 Peter 1:17-23)
6. COURAGEOUS CHARACTERS WHO RALLIED TO THE CALL (Selected)
7. THE INCUBUS OF INDECISION (John 7:24)
8. WHAT? ME AN EVANGELIST? (Acts 8:26-40)
9. PROJECTING POWERFUL PRAYER or HOW TO PRAY FOR OTHERS (Col. 1:9-12)
10. ETERNAL 911 (evangelistic) (Romans 3:10-19)
11. GOING FORWARD IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE (Gen. 12:6-8; 13:1-4; Phil. 3:13-14)
12. BECOMING A CHILD IN GOD (total dependence on God) (Selected)
13. THE GODS OF DESTRUCTION (Acts 17:16-23; Deut. 28-Selected)
14. PRAISE YE THE LORD – AFFECT AND EFFECT (Acts 16:22-39)
15. ADVERSITY: BANE OR GAIN (Selected)
16. COMMITTED OR CONTENTED (Daniel 3:16-18; 1 Cor. 3:1-3)
17. SEVEN ELEMENTS OF GODS PEACE OR THE PEACE THAT PASSES UNDERSTANDING (Philippians 4:7)
18. FEAR – THE CHRISTIANS STOPLIGHT – PART 1 (Psalm 56 & 1 John 4:18)
19. FEAR – THE CHRISTIANS STOPLIGHT – PART 2 (Psalm 56 & 1 John 4:18)
20. THE METHODS OF SATAN (Ephesians 6:11)
As the church goes, so goes the nation – i.e., Judah, Israel, USA
The church has lost its reason of existence
1. We no longer recognize the authority of Scripture – Ps 78:10
A. Consistent attack – Higher criticism – church/seminary is enemy
B. Greedy publishers printing anything for money
C. Neutralizing the significance of Gods Word
D. Holy book on par with Koran or book of Mormon
2. We lost our fear of God – Ps 78:17
C. Abortion – homosexuality – other heinous sins in direct defiance of God
F. Heaven may seem silent but heaven is never silent. (Esther)
G. We challenge God through seeking signs & wonders – Matthew 12:39
WHEN THE CHURCH BEGINS TO ADOPT THE WAYS OF THE WORLD IT IS NO LONGER A HOLY ENTITY BUT A PROFANE INSTITUTION. IT HAS BECOME THE VERY THING THAT IT SHOULD BE OPPOSING. IT BECOMES THE ENEMY OF GOD.
3. Mans wisdom & counsel has been substituted for Gods – PS 78:22
A. Gods salvation plan is questioned – All humans are good (Psalm 53:3)
(Psa 53:3 KJV) Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth
B. We add to it by works and ritual
D. PK pushes Masculine Journey by Robert Hicks (psychologist & psychotherapist)
(Phallic worship (PW) as a symbol of masculinity – PW is ancient occult practice)
4. Ecumenicism out of control – Ps 78:58-60
B. Amalgamation of Truth and Ritual (Galatians 1:8-9)
(Gal 1:8 ) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (Gal 1:9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
C. Christian leaders selling out and sinning out
5. Unqualified Leaders in the Church – Ezekiel 22:25-28
A. Devouring Souls – Teachings lead to hell
B. Taken the treasure & precious things
2. Precious blood we are redeemed by
C. Widows – No husband – Gospel does not lead to salvation (bride of Christ)
D. They try to meld the Holy & profane into one
F. Lord hath not spoken – Lies of the evil one
(untempered unique to Ezekiel=foolish things, frivolity)
1. Christians have no firm foundation
2. Salvation & Sin become cloudy issues
3. Doctrinal teachings and beliefs become fragmented
4. People are hell bound while thinking they are going to heaven.
5. The church becomes a forsaken entity – THEN WHERE DO WE HEAR OF SALVATION.
Two Methods of reviving the church militant
1. Text: Jeremiah 26:1-6 – Vs. 2 Diminish Not a Word
First Method – THE TRUE GOSPEL MUST BE PREACHED
A. We preach a preserved word – When no word is diminished:
1. Joshua 8:35 – Jeremiah 1:8 – Acts 20:27
3. The hearers are blessed or angry
4. A neutralized message creates a neutralized Christian
B. Salt must be pure and fresh – Luke 14:34-35
How the salt of the gospel loses its savor
1. Rationalizing – miracles, creation, etc.
3. Attack it under the guise of higher criticism
4. When Jesus is preached as a revolutionary or some other inferior personality
Deut. 12:32 – Observe = Take heed
Rev. 22:18-19 – Plagues
Add – Preach the Bible with our own additions
Subtract – Dont preach or study the verses we dont like
2. Deut. 17:19 – To learn to fear the Lord
4. Mark 4:14 – It is the means to be saved
Second Method: THE TRUE GOSPEL MUST BE RESPONDED TO:
1. Vs 11 – Josiah recognized the spiritual declension in Judah
2. Vss 12-13 – We must inquire of the Lord when the truth is preached
3. Vs 13 concerning us – We the believers
(Rev 2:5) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
5. Vs 16 – Evil forthcoming because
B. Burned incense to other gods – Other gospels
C. Provoked me/with work of their hands – Those who attack Scripture and recreate the reason of existence of the church – World Council of Churches &
7. Why we must respond to the true gospel:
A. It is Gods direct message to you – Jer. 26:5
(Jer 26:5) To hearken to the words of my servants the prophets
, both rising up early, and sending them, but ye have not hearkened;
B. It is Gods way of bringing you back – Ezekiel 34:11-12
(Ezek 34:11-12) For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out. 12 As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.
(Rom 10:17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
C. It is Gods way of drawing you to Jesus
(Mat 22:14) For many are called, but few are chosen.
D. It is Gods way of warning, that your destiny depends on your response.
(Deu 30:15-19) See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; 16
In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. 17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; 18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it. 19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
SIX DIVINE ELEMENTS IN THE BELIEVERS LIFE
(Our willingness to serve is predicated on our God assessment)
B. Royal – Rev. 1:6 – Kings & Priests
D. Peculiar (possession or preservation)
E. We are The people of God – all benefits accordingly
F. Drop the false description Sinner saved by grace
A. Deut. 31:8 – The Lord goes before thee.
B. Joshua 1:5 – God is with us as with previous generations.
C. Acts 19:26 – One man dedicated to God
(Acts 19:26) Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands:
John 20:21 – As God sent Jesus, Now He sends us, How:
(Mat 7:29) For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
2. Mark 13:34 – Jesus delegated Authority
(Mark 13:34) For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.
3. Titus 2:15 – We must speak with authority and without reservation.
Titus 2:15) These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
4. OUR DIVINE POSSESSION – The Holy Spirit
A. John 14:26 – He will teach you and bring to remembrance what you studied.
B. John 16:8 – He does the reproving of the unbeliever and sinning brother.
C. John 16:13 – He guides us into all truth.
5. OUR DIVINE INVESTMENT – The Cross
A. Ezekiel 22:26 – We are holy and clean, the world is not (Lev. 10:9-11)
B. Ezekiel 44:23 – We must teach the difference between the holy & profane
(Col 2:13-14) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
1. We were dead (nekrous) – profane – unclean
4. Blotting out – Forgot all our sins – Heb. 8:12 & 10:17
5. His instrument of forgiveness – His cross
6. Our instrument of evangelism – Our cross – death to self
The Word of God – Romans 10:17
through the Word of God
GIVING: A DYNAMIC OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE
Text: Vss 6-8 Three Principles of Godly Giving
A. Not health, wealth, name it and claim it.
C. Deut. 16:17 – According to what one has
(Deu 16:17) Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee.
D. Proverbs 11:24 – Scatter – Disperse abroad – Where needed
(Prov 11:24) There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty.
E. Ecclesiastes 11:1 – Cast – Piel Verb – Intense or intentional action
(Eccl 11:1) Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.
(Mat 6:3) But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
G. 1 Corinthians 16:2 – Regular Giving – First of the Sabbaths
(1 Cor 16:2) Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come
Vs 7 – PRINCIPLE OF ATTITUDE – Cheerful
A. Not grudgingly (sorrow, sadness, pain of mind or body)
C. Purposeth – Middle Voice Verb – Decide – Go either way
(2 Cor 8:12) For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
E. 1 Cor. 4:1-3 – Stewardship requirement
F. Gift of Giving – Romans 12:8 – Lives to give
G. The unjust steward – Luke 16:9-11 – Faithful in least
B. Psalm 81:10-11 – How wide will we open?
C. Prov. 11:25-26 Generous Soul Blessed
(Prov 11:25-26) The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. 26 He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it.
(Prov 19:17) He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
(Prov 22:9) He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.
F. Isaiah 32:8 – Liberal Soul=Generous – (will be treated generously)
(Isa 32:8) But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.
G. Malachi 3:10 – The size of the windows are proportionate
(Mal 3:10) Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
H. Luke 6:38 – The way you give is the way you will receive
(Luke 6:38) Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
I. Galatians 6:7 – We will reap what we sow
(Gal 6:7) Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Six basic dynamics giving builds into our lives:
1. It teaches us to look beyond ourselves.
2. It teaches us we are stewards and not owners.
3. It arrests greed and self-centerdness.
4. It opens the door for a sacrificial life
5. It teaches us that we can trust God with money which opens the door to trust Him with other things.
4 principles which undergird the Christian life.
1. Saved – Deliverance, Preservation
2. Transferred – Adopted into the family of God – Plundering Satans house – Rom. 8:15
3. Secured – We are sealed and the seal cant be broken – Ephesians 4:30
– Sabbatismos – We no longer work for ourselves but pay heed to the work God has done on our behalf.
FIVE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS IN OUR LIFE WHICH ALSO BECOME BORN AGAIN
1. OUR TODAYS – Lamentations 3:22-23
B. Each new day is an adventure with God.
C. Each new day can be faced with confidence – can vs. may, can is a word of ability not permission
1. We are buried should be we were buried (Indicative mood/aorist tense/passive voice) the dead person does not lower their own casket, others do. God takes our sins and buries them. Passive voice is the subject receiving the action.
2. Baptism – Acts 2:38 – Baptism in the Holy Spirit at time of salvation.
3. Lazarus in the grave stunk – 4 days – So do our sins if we try to dig them up.
C. Not fail thee – Divine assurance
D. Neither forsake – Divine possession
A. God promises freedom from worldly habits
B. Worldy dependence is now heavenly dependence – Matthew 6:33
C. Deadly habits turned to God-ward habits – 1 Thess. 1:9
D. Let our banner cry be Remember Jericho – Joshua 6
A. In Thee O Lord – My hope has a focus
B. Thou wilt hear – My hope has confidence
C. O Lord My God – My hope is living
When we become born again, all the elements of our life are born again. Some areas need to be refocused and redeveloped from existing thought patterns, nevertheless, we are fit for heaven.
COURAGEOUS CHARACTERS WHO RALLIED TO THE CALL
Is there a calling on your life? Does God want you to do something and you have neglected His call?
A. Caleb claimed the promise – Vs 9
C. He was going to drive out the enemy
D. His key – Verse 14 – He wholly followed the Lord
A. He used wise tactics to infiltrate the enemy
B. He faced the Philistines with confidence
C. Jonathan knew his God and His abilities (last part of vs. 6) (restraint = hindrance)
Do you know your God? Is there something you want to accomplish?
2. Situation – Vs 47 (armies of living God, not just Israel)
A. He would not be diverted – Have you been diverted?
B. He refused to live in fear (slay thee/and I said)
C. His eye was fixed on the goal (Zechariah 4:6-7)
A. Nothing would deter Daniel from Prayer
B. Gods law was higher than mans (Key word is knew)
C. Daniels prayer life bore fruit – (Vss. 25-26)
A. Pilate represented Rome in all its power
B. Jesus looked beyond the physical and knew who was really in charge.
WHY WE DO NOT WANT TO MAKE DECISIONS
1. Fear of Outcome – Pre-Programmed Fear of failure
2. Wait for someone else – Husband for wife, wife for husband – We possess a pre-programmed belief that we are incapable of making decisions.
3. Irresponsibility – 1 Corinthians 6:2-3
4. We hold a wrong concept of God – (i.e., He will punish us if we are wrong)
5. We are comfortable where we are – (The comfort zone Christian) Acts 1:8 Vs. 8:1
6. We dont trust God for the results – Naaman in 2 Kings 5:11-12 We cant see past the horizon so we think God cant
1. Heavy Prayer Focus – Neh. 1:4 – Seek God for hidden areas you are not aware of.
3. Seek Godly counsel – Proverbs 15:22
4. Never rush a major decision – 1 Samuel 13:5-6, 8-10, 13 (Proverbs 15:28)
5. Never make a decision when emotions run high – Numbers 14:39-45
6. Will it hinder my Christian walk?
7. How will it affect the rest of my life? My family? Those around me?
Principles of Evangelism from Philip the Evangelist
1. Vs 26 – The Evangelist desires to go toward.
2. Vs 26 – The Evangelist desires to preach in spiritual deserts.
3. Vs 27 – The Evangelist puts the plan into action.
4. Vs 30 – The Evangelist does not waste time after receiving marching orders.
5. Vs 30 – The Evangelist is ready to challenge.
6. Vs 35 – The Evangelist starts from the point where people are at.
7. Vs 35 – The Evangelist has only one message.
8 .Vs 37 – The Evangelist expounds the Scriptures for understanding by their hearers.
9. Vs 40 – The Evangelist seeks to proclaim Christ wherever they are.
Were all Gods Servants Eager to Obey?
1. Moses argued on the basis of speech – Exodus 4:10
2. Gideon argued on the basis of Inadequacy – Judges 6;15
3. Isaiah argued on the basis of his sinful nature – Isaiah 6:5
4. Jeremiah argued on the basis of youth – Jeremiah 1:5
5. Ananias argued on the basis of rumor – Acts 9:13-14
OUR RELUCTANCE TO SERVE IS PREDICATED ON OUR SELF-ASSESSMENT!
OUR WILLINGNESS TO SERVE IS PREDICATED ON OUR GOD-ASSESSMENT.
PROJECTING POWERFUL PRAYER or HOW TO PRAY FOR OTHERS!!
Importunate in Prayer – Luke 18 – Unjust Judge
A. Abraham – Genesis 18:32 – (Outcome 50, 40, 30, 20, 10)
B. Jacob – Genesis 32:26 – Blessing (wrestled)
C. Moses – Deuteronomy 9:18 – (Intercessor 40 days on behalf of Israel)
Vs 9b – Know Gods Will (Purpose or Desire) Why?
A. To know Gods place for them (where)
B. To know Gods plan for them (what)
A. To see things from Gods point of view – Habakkuk 1:6, 12-13
B. To see beyond the physical – Job – Shall we accept good and not evil…
C. Proverbs 4:7 – Getting=substance or wealth
A. Romans 6:4 – Newness of life (denotes complete change from old life to new)
C. Colossians 2:6 – Received Christ by Faith/Walk by Faith (Pleasing to God)
Fruitful – The Tree – Jeremiah 17:7-8
A. Past experiences with God – 2 Chronicles 20:7 – Jehoshaphat
C. Perspective for growth – Works, Faith, and Study
Ephesians 3:16 – Might – Kratos (Great Power in the Spirit) Why?
1. Patience – Endurance – Romans 12:12
2. Longsuffering – Perseverance (The long haul)
Vs 12 – They may give Thanksgiving from within when they come through adversity.
The seven desires of every believer.
2. Possess Wisdom and Spiritual Understanding
Vs 10 – No one righteous (indwelt sin)
Vs 11 – No one understands (sin darkens our eyes)
Vs 11 – No one seeks after God ( John 3:19 – Man loves darkness)
Vs 12 – Everyone gone out of the way – Man believes their way is right (Proverbs 14:12)
Vs 12 – All unprofitable (useless or worthless) – Because of sin which is compounded by sins [sic]
Vs 13 – Throat is an open grave (lies, deceit – God likens us to poisonous snakes Psalm 58:3-4)
Vs 14 – We speak with cursing and bitterness – Directed or focused anger, hatred or jealousy.
Vs 15 – Murder comes easy (murder by tongue also) – First recorded sin after mans fall was murder
Vs 16 – Mans wickedness leads only to misery and destruction – Deuteronomy 28:67
Vs 17 – No peace in their lives – Isaiah 48: 22 & Isaiah 57:21 – Because of separation from God whom the unbeliever is at war with – Romans 5:1 speaks of having peace with God because of cessation of hostilities.
Vs 18 – No fear of God – Swear His Holy Name – God will hold people guilty of this (God bless you is also a vain or profane [Common] use of Gods name.
Vs 19 – All the world is guilty before God – They will be judged
John 3:15 – Those in Christ will not perish
3:18 – Those in Christ are not condemned
3:21 – Those in Christ will be the light of the world
3:36 – Those in Christ receive everlasting life – (Contrast Revelation 14:10-11)
2 Judgment days – Calvary or Great White Throne
Believers judged by God through Calvary and found not guilty – Justified In Christ or eternity in Hell
Salvation is completely of God – John 1:12-13
The believers rejoicing is found in Romans 8:1
Text: Genesis 12:6-8; 13:1-4; Philippians 3:13-14 & selected verses for body of sermon from Philippians.
5 times in Matthew 5 in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus states, Ye have heard it said by them of
Old=Original derived from a word which means order, rank, or place.
Jesus then proceeds to say, But I say unto you.
He was changing their normal pattern of thinking.
In Philippians 3:13-14 – Paul is also changing our normal thinking patterns. In verse 13 he is exhorting us to forget and reach forth.
We must learn a major principle, NEVER USE TODAYS DEFEAT AS A SEED FOR TOMORROWS FAILURES.
A. Our entire being is in Christs hand
B. Our faith – His faithfulness – Perfect Together
C. Will perform not maybe
B. We are equipped for the battle (never concern ourselves with what Satan may do)
C. Gods promises are always valid (2 Cor. 1:20)
A. Learn to combine church resources
B. Learn to accept where God has placed you
6. In the Knowledge of Christ (3:10)
B. Experience the strength of Christ through Trials
C. become a living sacrifice – unto his death
A. Look at the other persons point of view (Archie Bunker said you should always show two sides of the story so you can show the other guy where he is wrong!)
B. Look at the other person from Christs perspective
C. Release them in your mind if you cannot come to agreement with them.
A. Passes all understanding – Keeps us peaceful in an unpeaceful world
B. Heart – Gods peace will protect your emotions
C. Mind – Gods peace will protect your thoughts
A. Seek a ministry you can do – not what you cannot do ( we tend to focus on what we cannot do rather than on what we can do.
B. Take the step this year you feared to take last year.
C. Realize the source of your strength
10. In The Confidence of God (4:19)
A. Gods supply is equal to your need.
Matthew 18:1-6 – Be converted and become as little children – Vs 3
Mark 9:35-37 – Last of all and servant of all – Vs 35
Mark 10:13-16 – As a little child – Vs 15
Luke 9:46-48 – Least among you – Vs 48
Luke 18:15-17 – As a Little child – Vs 17
The thread which runs through these verses is the unadulterated purity of a child before he/she is molded by the world. They still have a fertile mind.
Characteristics of the childlike mind the believer needs to adopt:
4. Willing to pattern themselves after their superiors
6. They feel safe in the family when facing adverse conditions
10. They have the ability of unquestionable love
This is why Christ, in Matthew 18:3 says, Unless ye be converted… The word converted is the Greek word straphete which comes from a root word strepho which is a common word in the New Testament which means turn, change, or return. Straphete in this context means a full turning back. This is the only place in the New Testament this word is used.
WHEN A NATION TURNS ITS BACK ON THE GOD OF THE BIBLE, WHAT IS THE RESULT?
Does the United States fit this description?
1. Vs 16 – Cities have become crime havens – cant walk at night or fear to visit them
2. Vs 16 – Cursed in the field – Much of western land is burned up
3. Vs 27 – Pestilence – Aids – Instead of abstinence we push condoms
4. Vs 28 – More people today in counselors offices – counselors are being set up as mini-gods
5. Vs 29 – Grope (search) – No way out of our predicaments – It seems hard times and oppression are a way of life
6. Vs 30 – Divorce, remarriage, and adultery on the rise – property foreclosures on the rise
7. Vs 31 – Ox and Ass were instruments of work for farming – Unemployment is on the rise as more companies leave America
8. Vs 32 – Our children have been sacrificed on the altar of public education, shopping malls, and video games
9. Vs 43 – Waves of immigrants (legal and illegal) are coming here and opening businesses and receiving the good jobs, while Americans stand in the unemployment line
WHEN A NATION TURNS ITS BACK ON THE GOD OF THE BIBLE, THIS IS THE RESULT
I believe the degeneration of a nation is closely linked to the salt effect of the believing church. We have a nation of neutralized Christians who will not rock the boat.
Richard Baxter stated in his book The Reformed Pastor, penned in 1656:
God will be honored when His church is manifestly seen to be different from that of the world.
Jeremiah 18:6-10 says impending judgment can be stayed. Key word in Vs 8 is Turn.
1. Personal philosophies designed to allow me to keep a good hold in this world – The deceit of sin is that it makes you think you are
walking with God when you are walking opposite him.
2. The following of Theologians and Preachers instead of the Bible.
3. The refusal to submit to biblical authority – My will not Thine. Shopping and eating out on Sunday is wrong. We may read and give
heed to the Scriptures but when it is convenient we will rationalize so we may fulfill our desires.
PRAISE YE THE LORD – AFFECT AND EFFECT
Psalms 146-150 begin with Praise Ye The Lord
Psalm 147 – Good, pleasant, comely (beautiful or suitable)
Psalm 148 – From the Heavens and in the heights
Psalm 149 – A new song in the congregation of saints
Psalm 150 – In the sanctuary & firmament of his power (expanse of His strength)
Vss 22-24 – The spiritual praise test (beaten with rods)
Vs 25 – Praise during the darkest hour transforms our outlook on our present situation
A. True praise (TP) is based on our relationship with Christ – Psalm 16:8-9
B. TP is based on walking in the spirit – Romans 8:1, 5
C. TP emanates outward in contrast to feelings which flow inward
D. TP gives evidence you are living above your circumstance – Paul and Silas could have been bitter (Acts 5:40-42)
E. TP is a thank offering to the Lord for the position you are in:
1. The tougher the position, the more God has entrusted to you.
2. Did God trust Paul with much? 1 Thess. 2:4 2 Tim. 2:2
F. TP refocuses your mind – Self to Christ/Sorrow to Joy/Independence to Dependence
G. TP affects others around you – What do you think the other prisoners were thinking?
H. TP testifies to the reality of the living God.
I. TP testifies to your belief in Christ & your relationship with Him
Vs 26 – Praise frees you from whatever binds you – fear/insincerity/anger/doubt/fragmented beliefs
Vs 27-28 – Praise frees you in the situation you are in
Vs 30-31 – Praise is a form of evangelism (a high goal of praise)
Vs 34 – Praise reveals something you have that others are searching for
The situation which began in pain, ended in praise.
1. To purify our ways – Malachi 3:2-3
2. Walking by faith or sight? – Romans 1:17
3. To reveal areas of disobedience – 2 Corinthians 2:9
4. Walking in my strength or His – Philippians 4:13
5. Measures our true spiritual condition – Hebrews 3:12-13
6. Because of our faithfulness to Him in our walk – 1 Kings 22:8
7. To be a testimony to others – Genesis 39:5
Five Assurances to the Believer going through Adversity!
2. Gods Provision —–Jeremiah 52:31-34
3. Gods Profit ———–Hebrews 12:10
4. Gods Preservation -1 Peter 1:3-5
5. Gods Promises —–